Recipe - Salmon in Pastry for Two

Hi everyone!
I was trying to empty the fridge so nothing would expire and I still had lots of puff pastry left. I also had a ton of carrots and potatoes so what to do with that? Not another chicken pot pie ;) I went to the shop and bought some salmon, still without a clue as to what to cook for dinner. But after some time online, I found this fantastic recipe by Nigel Slater that just had to be tested. The original recipe can be found here amongst many other salmon recipes.

You will need:
  • salmon - 2 pieces, roughly 150g each
  • puff pastry - 375g (enough for 2 servings)
  • parsley, chopped - 2 heaped tbs
  • basil, chopped - 2 heaped tbs
  • butter - 35g, at room temperature
  • beaten egg
Instructions:
Set the oven at 200°C/Gas 6. On a lightly floured surface, roll the pastry into four pieces roughly 12 x 20cm.

Transfer two of the pieces to a baking sheet covered with a piece of baking parchment.
Remove any skin from the fish. Place a piece of fish in the centre of two of the pieces of pastry.



Add the herbs to the butter and season lightly. 
Spread the herb butter on top of each piece of fish. 
Brush the pastry edges around the salmon with beaten egg then cover with the two remaining pieces of pastry. 
Press firmly to seal and trim the edges, pinching them together if you wish.  (my crimping really needs to be improved as you can see from the picture below).
Brush the surface of the pastry with beaten egg, making certain none drips over the edges. 


Make a couple of small slits in the top to let the steam out, then bake for 20 minutes or until the pastry is risen, crisp and golden. I nearly forgot to take a photo of this so I had to take this from the oven!


My slits were way too big, I had way too much pastry, but the end result was not at all bad:


Serve with mashed potatoes and enjoy!


In the end I had even more pastry left as the batch I had was one of those 500gr blocks, so with the remaining pastry and some plums I made my infamous plum tart for dessert. Yes, let's ignore any cholesterol issues for today ;)


All in all a lovely dinner, although I did forget about the carrots and used too much pastry around the salmon. But the bf liked it anyway and I can do this again sometime :) Have you ever made something like this?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scissor Sock Tutorial

Fabulising February - Men's Shirt Dress

My Neighbor Totoro Project #2: Catbus